The PPA Blog

Information for Down the Road

HomeGuest PostEverything You Need to Know About Handicap + Street Parking

Everything You Need to Know About Handicap + Street Parking

44 Flares 44 Flares ×


Finding a parking spot close to your home in the city can be challenging at times.  When you add a physical disability to that equation, that challenge can increase.  We understand that having access to safe parking near your home can make all the difference to you or your loved one when dealing with a physical disability. 

The friendly employees in our Planning and Analysis Department are always available to help residents navigate through the process of applying for a disabled person parking only space near their homes.  This program, known as Residential Parking for People with Disabilities (RPPD), is designed to provide a dedicated space where only those who possess a disabled license plate or placard are allowed to park. 

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about this type of parking.


How do I get a “Disabled Only” parking space in front of my home?
You must apply for the space. Applicants must submit a physician’s certification of disability from their treating physician, which will be reviewed by Moss Rehabilitation Hospital. You can download an application online or you can call 215-683-9746 or 215-683-9736. Signs are installed by the PPA once all criteria is met.       

How much does it cost?
This program is free of charge for eligible residents.

How long will the sign stay posted?
Zones are reviewed on a one- to three-year cycle to determine if they are still necessary.

Are other vehicles permitted to park in this zone?
Yes. This space is not limited to the person who made the application for the zone.  Any vehicle with a disabled license plate or disabled-person parking placard may use the space.

If the vehicle is not registered in my name, can I still obtain a Reserved Residential Parking for People with Disabilities zone?
No, the vehicle must be registered to the applicant. Exceptions will only be made for those who are under the age of 18.

What happens if the pole or sign gets damaged?
The Philadelphia Parking Authority is responsible for all repairs of the parking poles and signs.  If a pole or sign is loose or knocked down, please contact us at 215- 683-9736 or 215-683-9746 so we can make the necessary repairs.

I’m moving. Who is responsible for removing the zone from my street?
The Philadelphia Parking Authority is responsible for removing the zone. If you no longer require it, please contact us at 215-683-9736 or 215-683-9746. We do not know if the zone should be removed unless we are contacted.

What should I do if I suspect someone is abusing a handicapped parking zone?
Report it! If we receive reports of zone abuse—cones or other objects saving the zone, jockeying of cars to save a spot on the street— a parking investigator will be sent to investigate. If evidence of abuse is corroborated, the zone will be removed.

I don’t have a parking space in front of my house and my neighbor will not give consent. Do I have any recourse?
You may request a consent hearing from the Office of Administrative Review Board at 215-686-5216.

How do I get consent for an abandoned property or lot located next to my home?
This property is technically owned by the City of Philadelphia. Contact your City Councilperson and have them write you a letter stating that you are allowed to have a Residential Parking for People with Disabilities Zone infringe on this property.


44 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 44 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 LinkedIn 0 Email -- 44 Flares ×