In announcing new parking options for scooters and motorcycles which will begin on January 6, 2014, Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA) Executive Director Vince Fenerty today said, “The PPA is committed to supporting and improving all transportation modes which contribute to the vitality and quality of life in our city.”
“Providing safe and secure parking options for scooters and motorcycles is consistent with the PPA’s mission to improve access, create greater mobility and increase vehicular and pedestrian safety,” Fenerty said.
In announcing the new initiatives, Fenerty commended “local scooter and motorcycle owners for their quick reaction in bringing their issues to the PPA’s attention.”
He also asked for public input and suggestions on ways to improve and accommodate scooter and motorcycle parking in the city. He asked residents to “please communicate with the PPA via our Facebook page and on Twitter @PhilaParking and give us your comments, suggestions and ideas on how we can improve service.”
Fenerty praised City Council members Mark Squilla and Kenyetta Johnson for “all of their hard work in helping the PPA to bring about these changes for scooter and motorcycle owners.”
The key initiatives will include the following:
- The installation “parking corrals” in existing designated scooter and motorcycle zones. The parking corrals will provide an option for securely locking scooters and motorcycles. PPA hopes to have the parking corrals fully installed by early spring of 2014.
- The installation of additional designated scooter and motorcycle zones, based on input from the public.
- Two new payment options for scooters and motorcycles utilizing the designated zones, which will include a “virtual permit” and a scooter/motorcycle day pass.
- The introduction of a new rule permitting scooters with a Residential Parking Permit to park on the sidewalk in front of their home.
- The introduction of a $5.00 daily parking rate for scooters and motorcycles at specific PPA locations.
- Until residential parking permits for scooters are available in January, the PPA will permit parking scooters on the sidewalk against the building in a manner that does not block pedestrian access on residential blocks. Motorcycles are still prohibited from parking on any sidewalk and scooters may not park on any sidewalk on a commercial block.
New Payment Options for Scooters/Motorcycles in Designated Zones:
The PPA will establish a “Virtual Permit” that will allow scooters and motorcycles to park in designated on-street scooter/motorcycle zones beginning on January 6, 2014.
Once a virtual permit is purchased, the license plate information is recorded and uploaded to all PPA handheld ticketing devices to prevent tickets being issued to that license plate when parked in accordance with the policy.
The cost for a quarterly virtual permit for parking in a designated scooter/motorcycle zone is $120.00.
The current rate for parking in a metered scooter/motorcycle space is half the prevailing meter rate (generally $20 per day). Using the virtual permit will cost $1.34 a day if used every day, saving scooter/motorcycle owners approximately $160 a month or $480 a quarter.
While the PPA is working to establish online applications for both the RPP and Virtual permits, until that process is in place, scooter and motorcycle owners can purchase these permits beginning January 6, 2014 at the PPA Customer Service office located at:
35 North 8th Street
Monday – Friday
8:30 AM- 5:00 PM
Open Saturdays in January from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM
All RPP and Virtual Permit Applicants will need to provide the following:
- Valid driver’s license
- Proof of vehicle registration (For RPP applicants, the address must be in an existing RPP district)
- Proof of vehicle insurance
Beginning January 6, 2014, the PPA will also offer a Scooter/Motorcycle Day Pass for use in the designated Scooter/Motorcycle zones. The day passes will cost $5.00 each and will be sold in books of 5 for $25.00. For drivers who opt for this choice, we recommend the purchase of a locking permit holder to secure the day pass on their vehicle. The PPA will offer locking permit holders at cost to customers. Day passes and permit holders will be available in the above mentioned Customer Service office.
Scooters and motorcycles must abide by all posted parking regulations. While scooters and motorcycles are permitted to park at kiosks and stand-alone meter spaces with payment of the appropriate fee, the virtual permit and day passes cannot be used as payment in these locations. They are only honored for payment in designated scooter/motorcycle zones.
The prohibition on sidewalk parking for both scooters and motorcycles will still be strictly enforced on all blocks in Center City which are not posted for Residential Permit Parking.
Scooters with RPP Now Permitted to Park on Sidewalk in Front of Owner’s House.
While the PPA has always allowed — and will continue to allow scooter and motorcycle owners who reside within an existing RPP district, to purchase a residential parking permit (RPP) for their scooter or motorcycle, beginning January 6, 2014, scooter owners will be permitted to park their scooter on the sidewalk in front of their house.
The RPP permit only allows scooters to park on the sidewalk in front of the residence where the scooter is registered and does not grant any additional scooter parking for visitors. Motorcycle owners will continue to be required to park their motorcycle on the street.
The annual cost for a residential parking permit is $35.00.
All RPP scooter permit holders must adhere to the following rules:
- The scooter must be parked against and locked to the residence. Unlocked scooters will be ticketed.
- The scooter must be within the owner’s property line and not obstruct pedestrian traffic.
- Scooters may not be covered in a manner that obstructs the visibility of the license plate.
Special Garage/Lot Pricing for Scooters/Motorcycles
Beginning January 6, 2014, the PPA will offer designated scooter/motorcycle parking (on the first floor, with locking mechanisms for use with driver’s own locking device) for $5.00 a day at the following garages:
The AutoPark at The Gallery Mall
44 North 9th Street
Hours: Monday – Sunday, 6:00 AM – 12:00 AM
The AutoPark at Olde City
125 South 2nd Street
Hours: 24 hours a day/7 days a week
The AutoPark at Jefferson
14-18 South 10th Street
Every day from 5:00 AM – 11:00 PM
PPA Lot at 19th & Callowhill Streets
Hours: Monday – Friday, 5:30 AM – 8:00 PM and Saturday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PMTags: motorcycle parking, motorcycles, scooter parking, scooters