Philadelphia Parking Authority SEPTA Strike Operations Plan
UPDATE: Effective 6 a.m. on Tuesday November 8th, the Philadelphia Parking Authority (PPA) will resume normal enforcement of all parking regulations. Additionally, there will no longer be one hour grace periods for expired meters or kiosks and normal parking rates will apply at all PPA operated garages.
Note: The $10.00 for ten (10) hours and $15 for twenty-four (24) hours parking rate will apply until 6 a.m. Tuesday, November 8th at PPA garages operating 24/7.
During the current SEPTA strike affecting city bus, trolley and subway operations, the following actions are being taken to assist commuters.
A flat rate of $10.00 for ten (10) hours and $15 for twenty-four (24) hours parking will be charged in the following PPA garages from 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, November 1st through the end of the strike.
- Autopark at Market Street East
- Entrance on 10th Street between Arch and Filbert Street
- Parkade on 8th
- Entrances on 8th Street between Arch and Filbert and on Arch Street east of 8th Street and west of 8th Street
- Autopark at Jefferson
- Entrance on 10th Street between Market and Chestnut Streets
- Autopark at Old City
- Entrances on Front and 2nd Streets between Chestnut and Walnut Street
- Autopark at Independence Mall
- Entrances on 5th and 6th Streets between Market and Arch Streets
- Family Courthouse Garage
- Entrance on 15th Streets between Cherry and Arch Streets
- Vehicles parked on Broad Street from Spring Garden to South Streets will be subject to towing and impoundment.
- Impounded vehicles can be retrieved at the PPA impoundment lot at 2501 Weccacoe Avenue.
- Bus Zones may be used by any vehicle to drop-off and pick-up passengers. Vehicles may not be left unattended.
- Residential Permit Parking enforcement will be suspended from 8:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m.. For zones with two hour residential parking regulations, timing will begin at 3:30 and ticketing at 5:30 p.m.
- To allow additional time for motorists to return to their car to purchase additional time, expired meter or kiosk receipts will not be ticketed for one hour after the expiration.
- Parking normally prohibited or limited on the following blocks will be permitted without limitation during the strike:
- 2nd Street from Spring Garden to Willow Streets, west side.
- Spring Garden Street from Front to I-95 overpass, both sides
- Spring Garden Street from 5th to 9th Streets, both sides
- Vine Street from 10th to Broad Streets, both sides
- 18th Street from Race to Vine Streets, west side
- 23rd Street from Arch to Race Streets, west side
- Chestnut Street Viaduct from Front Street to Columbus Boulevard, south side
- Columbus Boulevard from Market to Lombard Streets, east side
- JFK Boulevard from 20th Street to Schuylkill Avenue, both side
- Lemon Hill Drive from Kelly to Sedgley Drives, north side
- Poplar Drive from Sedgley Drive to Girard Avenue, both sides
- Sedgley Drive from Poplar Drive to Girard Avenue, both sides
- Parking is also available at the following locations:
- 5th Street from Spring Garden to Willow Streets, both sides
- 6th Street from Spring Garden to Willow Streets, both sides
- 8th Street from Spring Garden to Willow Streets, both sides
- Riverside parking areas on Kelly and M. L. King Drives
- City owned lot at 682 N. 6th Street (south of Girard Avenue)
- Except for the items listed above, all parking regulations will be enforced. Special emphasis will be placed on safety violations such as blocking a fire hydrant, parked on a sidewalk, blocking a crosswalk, too close to a corner, double parking, etc.