Parking Garage Safety Tips
If you drive into Philly multiple times a week for work, there’s a chance you park your vehicle in a garage. Since safety is always a top priority for us at our AutoParks, we wanted to give you a brief rundown on some safety tips. Although most of these tips may seem self-explanatory, it’s important to remind ourselves of these cautionary measures before we enter any parking facility.
Before You Exit Your Vehicle:
- Make sure you park in a well-lit area.
- Make sure items are hidden from plain view before exiting your vehicle. Lock up all valuables.
Walking In The Garage:
- As soon as you exit your vehicle, lock it right away. Don’t take any chances.
- Walk with purpose and be aware of all surroundings.
- Avoid looking down at your phone to/from your car. This is a huge distraction and a sign of vulnerability. In other words, check your texts later.
- Be alert when using stairs or elevators.
Returning To The Vehicle:
- Hold your keys in your hand to avoid fumbling through your pockets/ purse.
- Lock the doors as soon as you get back in your car, even before putting on your seatbelt. Spending extra time with the vehicle’s GPS or radio is not advised.
- Don’t linger in your car. Exit the garage quickly, but remember to check your mirrors for traffic and pedestrians.
All in All:
- Prepare for the worst—consider carrying a personal noisemaker or personal defense device.
- Trust your instincts. Always go with your gut feeling.
- Report suspicious activity right away by calling 911.
If you ever feel the slightest amount of discomfort in a parking garage, do not hesitate to report and react to the situation at hand.